Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Here's A Fear, One Of Many

A fortunate couple will discover that one's weaknesses are covered by the other's strengths. Case in point:

Proud Mommy is worried about the baby. Is it growing properly? Is it healthy? Is there even a baby really in there?

This isn't a problem for me, possibly because I'm rather detached from this part of it. My body isn't going through changes. The test is just fine for me, because I have no other frame of reference. In these first several weeks, when everything looks the same on the outside, all I've got is the second line on the little strip to go on.

I'm also not worried, because I'm just fully comfortable and confident that Proud Mommy is providing a nice, warm, healthy environment for the little raspberry (did I mention the baby looks like a lizard/alien about the size of a raspberry?). Proud Mommy isn't as confident.

Until that ultrasound, she's never going to be really sure that the baby is ok. What is she sure of? That I'm going to be the best daddy ever.

Naturally, that's the one I'm not really sure of. I mean, kids are just so, so childish! I wasn't childish, even when I was a child. So tell me, does some magic transformation happen when it's your own child?

Or am I just putting up a manly front, like that time I said I was watching wrestling, but I was really doing prenatal yoga with Proud Mommy? Shhh. Don't tell anyone.

No comments: